- Shallots (Small Onions) - 100 gms (or) Big Onions - 2
- Tomatos - 3 big ripe ones
- Red Chilly - 3-4 depending on your taste
- Green Chilly - 1-2 depending on your taste
- Corriander Leaves - 1 small bunch
- Curry Leaves - 1 sprig
- Tamarind - 1 inch piece
- Coconut Oil - 5-6 tblsp (You could use any oil of your choice, I prefer coconut oil for this chutney)\
- Salt to taste.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan.
- Add curry leaves, red chilly and green chilly and saute.
- Add shallots/onions and saute till translucent.
- Add tomatoes and cook till tomatoes are soft and mushy. I add salt at this stage as it helps cook the onions and tomatoes quicker.
- Add the tamarind piece and corriander and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Take off flame and cool.
- Beat in blender till smooth. You could check salt at this stage and adjust.
This goes very well with Idly's and Dosa's. I also like it with Upma.