Friday, January 10, 2014

PPM Paneer (Panch Puran Masala Paneer) - Cottage Cheese with Indian Spices

 
As I opened my blog to write this post, I realized that it is almost 1 year since I posted something here. I was obviously cooking and clicking all year through. I guess I was just lazy to update it here and keep my personal log updated. I have resolved to be a little more active this year.

A friend of mine told me about Panch Puran Masala. I googled up on it and came to learn that it is a heady mixture of aromatic Indian spices which is used in Bengali cooking. You can check the Wikipedia link here

As the link states, I have reduced the amount of Fenugreek Seeds because I don't like the bitter taste. Instead, I added Caraway Seeds (Ajwain/Omum/Ayamodagam) because I like the distinct flavor it imparts.

 Panch Puran Seasoning – 1-2 tsp 

    (Panch Puran Seasoning is a mix of equal measure of 5 items. You can mix it and store it in an air tight container.) 
 1 tbsp. Mustard Seed
1 tbsp. Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
1 tbsp. Fennel Seeds (Perunjeeragam)
1 tbsp. Nigella Seeds (Kallonjee/ Kala Jeera)
½  tbsp Fenugreek Seeds (Methi/ Vendyam/ Uluva)
 ½ tbsp. Caraway Seeds (Ajwain /Omam/Ayamodagam)

(I found that using 1 tbsp of Methi makes it very bitter and not to my liking, so I used ½ tbsp Methi/Fenugreek/Uluva and ½ tbsp. Caraway Seeds)

Ingredients:
  • Paneer - 200 gms
  • Panch Puran Masala - 2 tsp
  • Kasuri Methi Leaves – 1 tsp
  • Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
  • Red Chili Powder – ¾ tsp
  • Coriander Powder – ½ tsp
  • Garam Masala – 1 tsp
  •  Tomato Puree – 100 gms
  • Onion – 1
  • Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
  • Sugar – 1 tsp
  • Salt to taste
  • Oil
  • Water – ½ cup
         Method:
  1. Heat Oil and splutter Panch Puran masala.
  2. Slice Onions and sauté till golden brown. Add the ginger garlic paste and sauté till the raw smell disappears
  3. Add the tomato puree and cook for 2 minutes on high flame.
  4. Add the Kasuri Methi, Turmeric, Red Chili and Coriander powders and mix well.
  5. When the tomato puree becomes thick, add ½ cup water, sugar and the Paneer and allow the gravy to boil.
  6.  Add the Garam Masala Powder and cook till you get the desired consistency of gravy (I made mine almost dry)
  7. Garnish with Coriander Leaves (optional)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share It

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails