Sunday, May 30, 2010

Mangalorean Tomato Curry in Coconut Milk

This apparently is a Mangalorean/Konkani delicacy that is had along with Neer Dosa

( http://www.awesomecuisine.com/recipes/177/1/Neer-Dosa/Page1.html ), yet another Mangolerean delicacy.

My husband loves this and my mother in law made it when I went there the first time after marriage. I loved this and asked her for the recipe. She started laughing saying there is hardly a recipe for this cos it is so simple to make. And trust me, when I heard of the recipe then, I was like this can't be so tasty for such a simple preparation! But trust me it is.

This also goes along well with Appams and Puttu as well. I made this when I had my friends over and served it with Appams and they all loved it.

Ingredients
  1. Garlic - 7-8 cloves chopped finely
  2. Onions - 2 big ones chopped finely or into thin long slices
  3. Tomatoes(Finely chopped) - 3 Big ones or 4 small ones (If you are using more onions, use more tomatoes)
  4. Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
  5. Chilly Powder - 3/4 tsp
  6. Thick Coconut milk - 200 ml - 1 glass (I use 1 Dabur Hommade Coconut Milk carton) If you are using the powder, you could use 2 sachets.
  7. Water - 200 ml (1 glass)
  8. Oil - 2 tblsp
  9. Salt to taste

(Yeah, thats it...i told you its fairly simple na!!! :-) )

Method:
  1. Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped garlic and fry till golden brown.
  2. Add onions and fry till translucent.
  3. Add the tomatoes and cook till they become pulpy and lose shape.
  4. Add salt, turmeric powder, chilly powder and some water and allow to boil till it becomes half its quantity.
  5. Add coconut milk and simmer till it thickens.
  6. Increase the heat, allow to boil and remove from flame.

That's it! The result is lip smacking yummy and a not so masaledar accompaniment to Appam, Puttu or Neer Dosa!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share It

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails