Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Sweet and Spicy Chutney


                         

Let me start with how I thought of this chutney in the first place. My colleague N who hails from Andhra Pradesh, brought to office one day, a ginger chutney that was out of this world. Promptly I asked for the recipe and she just replied saying grind ginger, chilly and jaggery together. That inspired me to add jaggery to the next chutney I made and it so happened that we had Rava Idli's for breakfast yesterday. So it was the ideal time to try this chutney. I'll let you in on what all I used for this.

Ingredients:
  • Shallots - 15
  • Tomato - 1
  • Green Chilly - 2
  • Red Chilly - 2
  • Curry Leaves - 1 sprig
  • Corriander Leaves - 1/4 bunch (2-3 stalks)
  • Tamarind - i inch piece
  • Garlic - 10 cloves
  • Ginger - 2 inch piece
  • Jaggery - the size of a tennis ball
  • Oil - 2 tbsp
  • Salt to taste

Method


  • Heat oil in a pan.
  • Add shallots, curry leaves, green and red chillies, ginger and garlic and fry well.
  • Add tomato, salt and cook covered till the tomatoes are mushy.
  • Add curry leaves and corriander leaves and cook for another 5 minutes.
  • Cool, grind with tamarind and jaggery.

  • Add more salt if requred and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share It

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails