Let me start with how I thought of this chutney in the first place. My colleague N who hails from Andhra Pradesh, brought to office one day, a ginger chutney that was out of this world. Promptly I asked for the recipe and she just replied saying grind ginger, chilly and jaggery together. That inspired me to add jaggery to the next chutney I made and it so happened that we had Rava Idli's for breakfast yesterday. So it was the ideal time to try this chutney. I'll let you in on what all I used for this.
- Shallots - 15
- Tomato - 1
- Green Chilly - 2
- Red Chilly - 2
- Curry Leaves - 1 sprig
- Corriander Leaves - 1/4 bunch (2-3 stalks)
- Tamarind - i inch piece
- Garlic - 10 cloves
- Ginger - 2 inch piece
- Jaggery - the size of a tennis ball
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Add shallots, curry leaves, green and red chillies, ginger and garlic and fry well.
- Add tomato, salt and cook covered till the tomatoes are mushy.
- Add curry leaves and corriander leaves and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Cool, grind with tamarind and jaggery.