Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Egg Roll

This is pure left over make over. I had no clue what I was going to prepare for breakfast this morning. I was done with my Idly/Dosa batter, tired of Maggi/Foodles and wary of Upma. I had no clue what I wanted for breakfast either. Cornflakes and Oats are always alternatives and I ensure that I stock them up at home, but then I was in no mood for either of them.

I remembered then that I had some Chapathi's left over from last night. All I could think of then was an egg roll. I've lived for 6 years in Kolkata. My taste buds are honed to the aroma and taste of the Bengali Cuisine. Egg roll is hardly a Cuisine. It is more of a fast food, available at literally every street corner in Kolkata. The rolls in  Kolkata are made with mustard oil. That is something I do not use in my kitchen. Hence I made this with normal cooking oil.I vaguely remember insisting that my dad and uncle who lived with us then had to bring 1 egg roll each when they returned home. Ever since the Tibbs Frankie carts have started in Chennai, my orders would have atleast 1 egg frankie. When I last went to Kolkata for my cousin's wedding 3 years ago, my agenda had only one thing - EGG ROLL. Pity Me....I had a bad stomach and so could not relish the original Kolkata Egg Roll.



Here is how I made this morning's Egg Roll.

Ingredients
  • Left over Chapathi's/Roti's - 2 (You could use freshly made roti's - that would obviously taste better)
  • Egg - 1
  • Onion - 1 chopped into small pieces
  • Green Chilly - 1 chopped finely
  • Salt - to taste
  • Pepper Powder - as per taste
  • Paparika Powder - as per taste
  • Oil - 2 tsp
Method
  • Beat the egg well with salt and set aside.
  • Heat iron girdle/pan on high flame.
  • Add 1 tsp oil and when it becomes hot, place 1 chapathi/roti over it.
  • Toss twice almost quickly. You need to do this so that it becomes warm on all sides without browning further.
  • Pour 1/2 the beaten egg onto the Chapathi/Roti.
  • Turn the stove to low flame.
  • Place 1/2 the chopped onions and chillies on the egg mixture
  • Sprinke pepper powder and paparika powder
  • Turn over so that the egg, onion and chillies are placed on the girdle.
  • Cook for 2-3 minutes till the egg gets cooked.
  • Remove from girdle and roll it up. Place something heavy on it as soon as it is rolled so that it retains its shape.
  • Repeat for the other chapathi/roti with the remaining half of the ingredients.
  • Your Egg Roll is ready!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Rithika...I would like to be one of your follower if I have my own kithcen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nithya...you will soon have your own kitchen :-)

    ReplyDelete

Share It

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails