I made this for lunch a week ago and I was satisfied with the result. So here goes the recipe.
- Black Channa (Chickpeas/Kadala) - 2 cups
- Yam - 200 gms (cut into small cubes)
- Raw Plantain - 1 (cut into cubes)
- Coconut - 1/2 shell, grated
- Cumin (Jeera) Seeds - 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Chilly Powder - 2 tsp
- Red Chillies - 3
- Urud Dal - 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds - 2 tsp
- Coconut Oil - 2 tsp
- Curry Leaves - 2/3 sprigs
- Peppercorns - 1-2 tsp (as per your requirement)
- Green Chillies -1 or 2 (You could use either the green chilly or pepper corn, don't use both)
- Salt - to taste
- Soak the Black Channa overnight.
- Next morning, pressure cook it for 3 whistles with a little bit of salt.
- Wash and cut yam and plantain into small cubes.
- Cook them in 1/2 cup water along with turmeric powder, salt and chilly powder till soft.
- Set aside 2 or 3 tsp of grated coconut.
- Grind the rest with Cumin Seeds and peppercorns (or green chillies).
- Add the black channa to the cooked yam and plantain and evaporate the water. This is a completely dry dish. There should be no running gravy
- Add the ground coconut mixture and cook well.
- Heat coconut oil in a small frying pan.
- Splutter mustard seeds, add the urud dal, red chilly and curry leaves and season the prepared curry with this.
- Finally, fry the 2-3 tsps of grated coconut that you had set aside and add it to the curry.
- Your Kannur Style Kootu Curry is ready.