The only downside of this dish is that it can be made only during summer. Ugh, if you want to know why - Ripe Mangoes are available only in Summer!!!
You can make this with all varieties of mangoes, but the best would be the small mangoes which are usually home grown. I used this variety named "Senduram". Don't ask me the English name.
- Ripe Mangoes - 3
- Green Chilly - 2, finely chopped
- Red Chilly - 2
- Coconut - 3-4 tbsp
- Curry Leaves
- Crushed Jaggery - 1 tbsp
- Tamarind - 1 inch piece
- Salt to taste
- Mustard Seeds
- Remove the peel, cut the mango and use the seed as well
- Add chopped green chilies, jaggery and salt and squash well
- Dry roast the red chilly and grind with coconut and tamarind to a fine paste.
- Add to the mango mixture and mix well.
- Add water if needed to make the gravy
- Temper with mustard seeds and curry leaves