Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Beetroot Thoran/Poriyal

I had this huge aversion towards beetroot till I actually started having it. I guess it was something about the color (which is in fact very beautiful) that led me to hate the vegetable despite all its known health benefits. Fortunately or not; I married a man who simply loves the vegetable. He can have beetroot with any meal, any preparation! Thus started my beetroot encounters :P

Beetroot Sambar, Beetroot Thoran, Beetroot Subji for Roti's.... the list is endless.
I make sure we make some beetroot preparation once a week and ensure my little one takes a liking to the vegetable so that she wouldn't have to deal with the change management I had to undergo :)



This preparation of Thoran (as they say in south Kerala), Upperi (as we say in North Kerala) or Poriyal (as they say in the rest of south) is fairly simple and can be made quickly. It tastes good too.

Okay, I must admit, I got my cook to make this one and I am only posting the recipe here :)


Ingredients:

  • Beetroot -  1 large
  • Shallots - 7-8
  • Garlic - 2-3 cloves
  • Red Chilly - 2-3
  • Curry Leaves - 8-10
  • Mustard - 1 tsp
  • Coriander Leaves - handful for garnish
  • Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
  • Salt to taste
  • Grated Coconut - 3 tbsp
  • Oil

Method
  1. Wash, Peel and Grate the Beetroot. You can also choose to cut it into small pieces as you like
  2. Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds.
  3. Add the curry leaves and shallots and stir fry
  4. Crush the garlic cloves and add along with the red chilly
  5. Add the beetroot, turmeric powder and salt and cook on low flame till it is cooked.
  6. Add the grated coconut and coriander leaves and remove from the flame.


This can be had as an accompaniment for Rice. Those on a diet can reduce the oil, avoid the coconut and have this for lunch. You get the goodness of the vegetable, flavor of garlic and it can be very filling too.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share It

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails