Friday, March 15, 2013

Mutton Masala

I thought I was the only one in the family who liked mutton. The rest of my family avoided it like plague. Red meat is fattening, high on cholesterol and  difficult to digest. My little fussy angel changed it all. She decided that mutton is yummy. So now, no occasion is spared! Whenever I find time, I cook something in mutton for her.

I was chatting with a friend of mine on WhatsApp one day and happened to mention to her that I was searching for mutton curry recipes online. She gave me this simple recipe that she makes for her family. I thought I would give it a shot, when my angel put her fingers together to denote excellent, my day was made :-)





Ingredients:

  • Mutton - 1/2 kg
  • Potato - 2 large cut into large cubes
  • Onions 1 large and 1 small
  • Cinnamon - 1 small stick
  • Cloves - 2
  • Tomato - 2 large
  • Ginger Garlic paste - 2 tbsp
  • Garam Masala - 1/4 tsp
  • Red Chilly powder - 1.5 tsp
  • Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
  • Coriander Powder - 2 tsp
  • Salt to taste
  • Oil
  • Bay Leaf - 1
  • Corriander leaves
  • Everest or any other  Meat Masala (optional) - 1 tsp

Method:
  1. Wash the mutton and and marinate with 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp chilly powder and some salt. I normally apply turmeric to any meat or sea food that I prepare because i believe turmeric powder will kill the bacteria :-)
  2. Heat oil, add cinnamon and cloves, onions and fry till onions are pink
  3. Add ginger garlic paste and cook till the raw smell disappears.
  4. Add tomatoes, turmeric, red chilly powder, coriander powder and salt and cook till oil separates (on medium or low flame)
  5. Cool the mixture and grind to a fine paste.
  6. Heat oil in a pressure cooker.
  7. Add the bay leaf, chilly, potato and mutton pieces and mix well.
  8. Add the ground masala, water and the meat masala if you are adding it.
  9. Pressure cook for 3 whistles and keep on low flame for 15 minutes.
  10. After the pressure has released fully, open the cooker and add coriander leaves and serve hot.

This mutton curry can be had with rice, roti's and idly's. If you ensure your meat is tender, you can be assured that it will be cooked in 3 whistles and 15 minutes of low flame.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share It

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails